Monday, October 4, 2010

Noggin


So as one would imagine, today we were doing Shirshasana, or a head stand. It is known as the high king of asanas, with the shoulder stand or Sarvangasana as the high queen. Shoulder stands are awesome and I always feel so relaxed and energetic after I do one. However, based on my copious falling over this morning I am pretty sure people were not meant to stand of their heads. Although if you read about how good this pose, along with the other asanas are for you, one would think that humans have been walking upside down forever. The inverted stance relives pressure on your heart and helps the cardiovascular system, the lymphatic system the nervous system and the endocrine system. Weird right? Look it up, I am not lying.
Stephanie gave us an interesting instruction today. She said to remain in the present. I don't know about anyone else but I am rarely in the present, I am constantly thinking about last week, next week or even 5 minuets ago. How often do you spend exactly in the present? Even in conversation I sometimes catch myself in my own thoughts and have to snap back to reality. I personally always get a little weirded out by this, especially when I am driving somewhere. I suddenly am there and I don't remember driving there with any particular detail. Everyone goes on autopilot occasionally but I wonder what I would be like if I was consistently in the present. Would I be a better listener? A better coworker, friend, girlfriend or student? In this world of high tech distractions I wonder if any of us are ever in the present for any length of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment